If only...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If only...

Post by xectis on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:02 am

There are over 1.25 billion users of Microsoft's Windows operating system which makes it the most popular desktop OS in history. Love it or loaded that is just a fact.

I've been a long term Windows user wanting so badly to move on to Linux and I lost count of how many distros I've tried but failed to end up using as my main everyday OS (I only want to run just one OS). Before getting to my reason for not using Linux lets talk briefly about aesthetics. Of all distros there's been only a few that have caught my eye-candy (as a Windows user) and ChaletOS is on the top of the list. I tried it, wanted to love it but ended up just liking it.

Now for my main reason for not using Linux, you see am a musician/engineer by profession and I rely on a few programs that are compatible with other folks I work with as well as clients. The programs, in case anyone is interested, are Cubase, Nuendo, Samplitude and Adobe Audition. No matter what anyone advises, whether on-line or via forums, none of those mentioned programs will run either properly or at all. It's disappointing and unfortunate none of those companies ever cared about Linux. I know there are the likes of Ardour and Rosegarden sequencers for music making but they won't cut the mustard unfortunately, no matter how much 'Wine' you throw at it.

There is a glimmer of hope however in the form of a distro called 'Robolinux Mate Raptor V8.1' where the latest Windows OS's can be run inside Linux which means good news for the likes of me. However it's a long winded way to get to run Windows compatible problems. Still I may try it and see how it goes.

So that's it folks, this has been my two cents worth.
xectis

Back to top Go down

Re: If only...

Post by xectis on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:06 am

In the last paragraph (before the last line) I was meant to say "However it's a long winded way to get to run Windows compatible programs"
xectis

Back to top Go down

Post by specterm on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:44 am

I hear you. linux program compatability is also my biggest issue. I just installed the windows 10 experience and ehhh.. not for a 100 bucks. I guess Its time to google Robolinux Mate Raptor V8.1
specterm

Back to top Go down

Post by specterm on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:52 am

Looks like it works with windows cause you still need windows installed is this correct?
specterm

Back to top Go down

Post by xectis on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:14 pm

That is correct specterm, it lets you install either Windows 7, 8 or 10.
xectis

Back to top Go down

Post by beun on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:21 pm

If only I could I'd make this world a better place - Sydney Youngblood
beun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top