chaletos 1404

View previous topic View next topic Go down

chaletos 1404

Post by khrsquire on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:08 pm

tried current 32 and 64bit os downloads and was disappointed to find that popcorn time was not installed. I assume this is due to copyright restrictions. could some kind person point me to an iso or similar of the 14.04 release which I believe was the basis of the utube video which was the intro to this distro. I am a Win user and a newbie wishing to gain basic
knowledge of Linux.
khrsquire

Back to top Go down

Re: chaletos 1404

Post by xyis1 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:06 pm

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Stay in touch with reality. All quotes are nothing but frame of mind.
I found the truth. The problem is health. The solution is health.
xyis1

http://xyis1.blogspot.in/

Back to top Go down

Post by khrsquire on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:45 am

hi. thx for reply. I have that app but being woefully inexperienced in Linux
I could not install. 'wine' is most uncooperative so am trying to locate the
earlier release !!!! trying to use the terminal???
khrsquire

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:33 am

If I understand correctly, you want to install Popcorn Time? I will try to make this as easy to follow as possible since you're new to Linux. Smile By the way...welcome to Linux and ChaletOS!

Trust me when I say, installing Popcorn Time in your current version is MUCH quicker than the time it would take to install an older version that has it pre-installed. Wink

Pull up your Terminal, and you will see the something similar to your-user-name@ubuntu $- already written in the Terminal. Next to that, type (or copy and paste) these commands...one at a time.

Here's the first command...

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/popcorntime

Hit Enter on your keyboard. Enter your password if/when prompted to do so. When the activity has finished in the Terminal, you will know because it will again show your-user-name@ubuntu $-

Now enter the next command below...

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Hit Enter on your keyboard. When the activity in the Terminal has finished, you will again see your-user-name@ubuntu $-

Now enter the next (and final) command below...

Code:
sudo apt-get install popcorn-time

Hit Enter on your keyboard.

You are now finished entering commands, and it should install rather quickly.

You will be prompted to accept whether you understand the risks in using Popcorn Time. Click Enter when the correct response (Yes or No) is highlighted. You can move the highlight to your chosen answer by using your keyboard arrow keys (I think).

This time, when you see your-user-name@ubuntu $- , type exit in the terminal to close it. You can just click the X to close the terminal like any normal window, but I prefer to type exit myself as just an added safety measure.

You will find Popcorn Time in the Internet category of your menu.

You also mentioned having a problem with Wine? If you were trying to install Popcorn Time with Wine, it won't work. Wine is used to install Windows applications and software. If I minunderstood your problem, and you have another problem with Wine though, don't hesitate to ask. Smile

Hope this helped!
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by khrsquire on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:12 am

hi. my thx for your reply. my first encounter with the terminal. dos was
daunting, BUT THIS!! trying to learn basic commands. wish to install wine
to permit using familiar Win progs until can replace with Linux software.
will keep you appraised of my progress, if any!!.
  again. deepest appreciation.     ken
khrsquire

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:14 am

Hmmm...that's strange. ChaletOS comes with Wine already installed...unless it was removed in the newer version since I installed Chalet.

In your menu, there should be a category called "Other". That's where Wine is located. Also, in the "Games" category, Play On Linux should be there.

You can use Play On Linux to install Windows programs from a disc or from a file. You can install many programs with the Wine Windows Program Loader also.

I'll be honest and tell you that I don't personally have much experience with Play on Linux though. I did use it to install Microsoft Word once, but that's been a long time ago...so my memory is a little rusty on that.

If for some reason you don't have Wine and Play on Linux already installed, you may find it easiest to install it with the Ubuntu Software Center.

It's found in the "Settings" category of your menu. Pull up the Ubuntu Software Center, and when it appears, type Wine in the search box. You can hit Enter after you type it, but you don't have to. When all of the selections for Wine appear...

1. Click on Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer (meta-package)
2. Click on More Info
3. Scroll down a little, and you will see Optional Add-ons. Put a checkmark by every add-on except KnetAttach
4. Scroll back up and click Install

After it has finished installing, go back to the screen showing all of the selections when you first searched for Wine.

1. Click on Play on Linux
2. Click on More Info
3. Scroll down a little to Optional Add-ons, and only put a checkmark next to Installer for Microsoft TrueType Core Fonts.
4. Scroll back up and click Install

That should give you what you need.

You will then have Wine installed. Smile
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dits on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:59 am

khrsquire wrote:hi. my thx for your reply. my first encounter with the terminal. dos was

Hi khrsquire and welcome to the forum

As BroDan quoted, Wine is already pre installed in ChaletOS..

Usually before i use Wine i click on 'Configure Wine' and then click on the tabs to test sound and the tab 'Drives' to auto detect dvd drives then close it, that's it.. and then when you want to try some Windows software, open the file whether it be on a disk or usb , right click mouse and choose open with  'Wine program loader'. Some Windows software will work some won't, but i have found quite a few Windows games and other software that actually work and work well through Wine.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Dits

http://chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by khrsquire on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:19 am

hi my thx for your advice. it is, indeed, quite reassuring that strangers are
willing to help each other. we can only repay by passing on that obligation
to others. I now have sufficient advice to keep me busy. cheers Laughing
khrsquire

Back to top Go down

Post by BroDan on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:42 am

khrsquire wrote:hi. my thx for your reply. my first encounter with the terminal. dos was

Hang in there...you'll get it! I wanted to throw my computer through the window when I first started using Linux! I didn't though...I didn't have a choice. The only computer we had was a Sony Vaio that I bought in 2006 that came with Windows Vista. Over time, it was so bogged down and slow, and it went crazy on me after an update. I didn't want to fork out the money for a new computer, and I tried everything I could to fix it...so I took the plunge and put a Linux OS (Zorin) on it. Like I said, it was frustrating trying to learn things, but the computer ran like new again! We have other computers now (one with Windows, and 3 with Linux), and that Sony Vaio that I had almost given up for dead is still working like a dream.

All that to say this...if I can use Linux, you can too! Smile
BroDan

Back to top Go down

Post by usuario on Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:10 pm

gostaria de saber quanto estou instalando chaletos na tela do login e senha nao consigo passar
qual nome e senha que devo colocar
alguem ai me ajuda
usuario

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum