Possible to upgrade to 18.04?

Go down

Post by Sotelach on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:53 pm

I just wondered if anyone using chaletos had tried to upgrade any chaletos system to 18.04? If so, with what kind of results?
If not, I think I may give it a go on a fresh install on an external hard drive and see what happens. Obviously it may be wise to keep all of the package maintainer versions that are offered on the upgrade path on the first install I guess.
I know there is still remaining long term support on the 16.04 but thought it may be interesting to try the upgrade.
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Re: Possible to upgrade to 18.04?

Post by Sotelach on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Well, I did it on a fresh install which was then fully updated with no modifications by myself or any of my files etc, simply fresh.

So far, so good. The only two things noticeable thus far are the wallpaper changes to the new xubuntu edition when in "desktop settings" and the lack of a border around boxes (ie when requesting your password etc), no biggy and probs easily sorted.

I do not recommend doing this on any current running system as there could be hidden dangers of data loss, file incompatibility etc etc. If like me you have a spare hard drive and want to give it a try, why not.

I will now use it as my daily OS.

Remember this is an upgrade over 16.04 on a spare hard drive, not 16.04.2. All maintainer versions when doing the upgrade were kept to default.
Sotelach

Back to top Go down

Post by JeffK969 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:54 am

Hmmm. Wouldn't have thought of that.. Good Job. I should of tried upgrade to before removing, as one last gasp of hope... I ultimately switched over to Mint XFCE for the LTS...

I never did an upgrade on linux, was it easy? Wonder if it's be worth a go...
JeffK969

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:30 am

you can always try, especially in a VM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum