Stuck at grub rescue after 16.04 installation

Go down

Stuck at grub rescue after 16.04 installation

Post by luciana42 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:42 am

Hello! I posted about this problem in the Google+ site, but I reckon this is a better place to post this. I've googled for hours but couldn't get a solution.
I installed ChaletOS 16.04 from a USB stick in a new partition I created from the installation wizard (*) (I also created a swap partition). When the installation finished and rebooted, I was directly sent to the grub rescue shell, with this message: "error: unknown filesystem". After investigating, I realized that the "root" and "prefix" grub variables were pointing to the wrong partition. The steps I followed were these:
1) set root=(hd0,msdos2)/ --> When throwing this command: "ls (hd0,msdos2)/" it shows the linux root, so I know it's the correct partition.
2) set prefix=(hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub/i386-pc --> here is where I found all the .mod grub files where at.
3) insmod normal --> This is where the problem is. I get this error: "symbol not found: 'grub_divmod64'.

All the answers I've found to this problem said I should boot from a live CD (or USB) and reinstall grub, but the thing is I can't even do that. My BIOS boot priority is correctly configured to boot from my USB stick first (it's a netbook, I don't have a CD drive), still, "grub rescue" is the first thing I see, and I can't get out of it.

Could you please help me? is there a way of booting with another grub module apart from "normal" or "linux"? (I also get an error when trying to load the linux.mod file)

Thanks in advance

PD: (*) extra info just in case it's relevant: Before this whole thing, I had 3 partitions:
1) Linux Mint 13
2) a broken Windows 7
3) fat32 partition for data in general
To install ChaletOS I erased the first 2 partitions, and created a new one for ChaletOS and a swap partition too.
luciana42

Back to top Go down

Re: Stuck at grub rescue after 16.04 installation

Post by James Tobin on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:29 pm

yeah Chalet has known boot problems.

Try the method in http://chaletos.4rumer.com/t237-install-chalet-os-with-uefi

if that doesn't work let me know.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by luciana42 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:33 am

Hi James! thanks for your reply. Fortunately I was able to boot from a live version of SuperGrub from my USB stick, boot my chalet OS installation and reinstall grub doing this:
> sudo grub-install /dev/sdX (in my case it was sda)
> sudo update-grub

And boom, no more grub rescue Smile

I don't know how my computer suddenly decided to let me boot from USB  Neutral , the only thing I did was following a "method" to "restart" my BIOS, that I found somewhere, which consisted of disconnecting the battery and pressing and holding the power button for a couple of minutes. Didn't think it would do anything, but aparently it did Smile
luciana42

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:48 am

understandable. boot-repair does the same thing as one of the steps in its procedure.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum