chalet OS bad download

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: chalet OS bad download

Post by James Tobin on Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:43 pm

strider sorry for late reply. I somehow goofed on notification and got mixed up with the pages. Have you downloaded a new ISO yet?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by strider on Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:44 am

yes I deleted old ISO and downloaded it again, but I still would like to verify its checksum. Did you upload checksum for 64bit version?
strider

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:03 am

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by strider on Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:59 am

Ok, I managed to install it so that it looked like from liveCD. Had to erase the whole drive for this (I was using 'format root partition' option always). But after I changed theme in style changer, the labels under all icons are messed up again. Start to doubt anybody really using this OS... Or may be nobody uses its style changer. Such a waste of time!
strider

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:11 am

There are at least 3000 downloads and 300 forum members... people definitely use the OS. "Icons messed up" I doubt that is the situation, I am guessing you just did not like some of the icon changes it made

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by strider on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:38 am

I personally downloaded it 2 times completely, plus 2 more times started a download and canceled it cause the browser didn't allow me to choose a specific place. Plus there are 32 and 64 bit versions. So divide your number by 10. Your guess is wrong about icons. The labels are messed up exactly as in my first screenshot ( on the left two different colors of same text are shown in close places). You were blaming me/flash drive etc originally as well. While installing on a clean drive clearly showed that installer doesn't do a good job if the drive is not clean.
I believe there's a combination of hardware and installation options where it works, but it looks like I'm not smart enough to find them, even though Ubuntu 16 LTS went through on the same PC on the 1st time... Just don't like that window controls are on the left there.
Going to try Zorin OS, hopefully its more stable than this.
strider

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:46 am

sigh. LOOK STRIDER: a failed download and browser trouble IS NOT OUR FAULT. Sorry. 32 bit vs 64 bit editions are there for compatibility with everyone's computer.

sorry, zorin os is not stable. It is non LTS and a very old edition of Ubuntu core meaning you will have outdated, unsupported software.

Best wishes to you.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:47 am

strider: I am splitting posts to new topic.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by strider on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:34 am

James Tobin wrote:sigh. LOOK STRIDER: a failed download and browser trouble IS NOT OUR FAULT. Sorry. 32 bit vs 64 bit editions are there for compatibility with everyone's computer.

The bug I reported above have nothing to do with a failed download. I even verified md5 checksum with the link you provided, it coincided in all digits. Also followed all your instructions for using rufus.
I was just explaining why the number of downloads has very few to do with the actual number of users of particular version.
strider

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:45 am

I have used the style changer a lot. It never made me any problems. If you want to do a bug report show a screenshot with the exact problems and tell us what theme you tried that caused the problem.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by strider on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:00 am

James Tobin wrote:I have used the style changer a lot. It never made me any problems. If you want to do a bug report show a screenshot with the exact problems and tell us what theme you tried that caused the problem.

Ok if this is your argument, that it works on your specific hardware, than I give up. You didn't even ask if its 32 or 64bit version, which may behave differently. I already explained what happens, and first screenshot shows how text behaves.
Have lots of other things to do, sorry.
strider

Back to top Go down

Post by Dits on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:06 am

strider wrote:
James Tobin wrote:I definitely have and so have many many other people here.

I wonder how can you claim this, since nobody else confirmed that yet.
Which soft did you use to put ISO image on USB drive?
Was it from linux or windows?

Hi Strider, i always use Unetbootin to write the ISO image of just about every Linux distribution iv'e tried, and it works 99 % of the time. The only other option, if i cant use Unitbootin for an older pc that doesn’t recognise a USB on boot up is burn the ISO image through Brasero and burn to a dvd. Iv'e never had a problem with ChaletOS installations either through usb or dvd and that's installing them on a lot of different desktop pc's or laptops.
If your burning through windows then try Nero or other burnig software, it's been so long since iv'e used windoze iv'e forgotten what burning software to use lol. .

Dits

http://chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:17 am

Dits1 unetbootin has good distro compatibility however some uefi systems dont like unetbootin's write mode. Otherwise it's great Very Happy

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by strider on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:17 am

Dits 1 wrote:Hi Strider, i always use Unetbootin to write the ISO image of just about every Linux distribution iv'e tried, and it works 99 % of the time. The only other option, if i cant use Unitbootin for an older pc that doesn’t recognise a USB on boot up is burn the ISO image through Brasero and burn to a dvd. Iv'e never had a problem with ChaletOS installations either through usb or dvd and that's installing them on a lot of different desktop pc's or laptops.
If your burning through windows then try Nero or other burnig software, it's been so long since iv'e used windoze iv'e forgotten what burning software to use lol. .

Are you using latest version now?
Is it 32 or 64bit?
If its the latest version, for how long do you use it?
strider

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:18 am

dits1: unetbootin does have a windows version lol. Never tried nero, will check out.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dits on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:21 am

strider wrote:
Dits 1 wrote:Hi Strider, i always use Unetbootin to write the ISO image of just about every Linux distribution iv'e tried, and it works 99 % of the time. The only other option, if i cant use Unitbootin for an older pc that doesn’t recognise a USB on boot up is burn the ISO image through Brasero and burn to a dvd. Iv'e never had a problem with ChaletOS installations either through usb or dvd and that's installing them on a lot of different desktop pc's or laptops.

Are you using latest version now?
Is it 32 or 64bit?
If its the latest version, for how long do you use it?
Personally i still use the older version 14.04.5 (64 bit) and it hasn't missed a beat.... but i have installed the latest version (64bit) on a few friends pc's and have had no problems at all.
I haven't tried the 32bit version yet.

Dits

Back to top Go down

Post by strider on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:32 am

Dits 1 wrote:
Personally i still use the older version 14.04.5 (64 bit) and it hasn't missed a beat.... but i have installed the latest version (64bit)  on a few friends pc's and have had no problems at all.

have you tried changing style on your friends pc's? (I mean with the latest 64bit version)
Right after install it looked well, but right after I changed style to 'Win7 ...', the text on all icons becomes like if one cannot focus vision.
Changing the style to original, doesn't fix that.
I doubt that is related to a way I wrote ISO image to flash, cause I did it twice with different options, and installation went without any error. Could be hardware related issue, who knows...
strider

Back to top Go down

Post by Dits on Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:59 pm

strider wrote:
Dits 1 wrote:
Personally i still use the older version 14.04.5 (64 bit) and it hasn't missed a beat.... but i have installed the latest version (64bit)  on a few friends pc's and have had no problems at all.

have you tried changing style on your friends pc's? (I mean with the latest 64bit version)
Right after install it looked well, but right after I changed style to 'Win7 ...', the text on all icons becomes like if one cannot focus vision.
Changing the style to original, doesn't fix that.
I doubt that is related to a way I wrote ISO image to flash, cause I did it twice with different options, and installation went without any error. Could be hardware related issue, who knows...
I have had no one come to me with problems like your having, not yet anyway.

Dits

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:38 pm

strider: maybe you can elaborate on the problem with your style changer. With screenshots and information about what themes caused it etc. That would be much more helpful. Thanks!

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by strider on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:47 am

James Tobin wrote:strider: maybe you can elaborate on the problem with your style changer. With screenshots and information about what themes caused it etc. That would be much more helpful. Thanks!

I tried, but when I choose 'host to imgur', there is error 'an error occurred when transferring data to imgur'. Internet works in mozilla and ping no problem.
strider

Back to top Go down

Post by strider on Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:40 am

The bug shows up even when booting from USB flash in liveCD mode, 64bit version. Just open style changer, choose 'Win7 silver classic', click apply. Other themes doesn't cause the bug.
Hope you can reproduce it now.
strider

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:02 am

take a screenshot then by hitting print screen, copy to clipboard, then paste to snag.gy with ctrl+v and give me the snag.gy link.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by strider on Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:38 am

James Tobin wrote:take a screenshot then by hitting print screen, copy to clipboard, then paste to snag.gy with ctrl+v and give me the snag.gy link.

you have perfectly clear instructions already and still don't bother to reproduce it.
I lost my interest. Who knows how many bugs are there as I found one in 5 min after install (5th time install actually). Good luck with getting users for this OS.
strider

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:15 am

hmm.. looks like for some reason it was removed from Sourceforge Neutral

I will contact Dejan about that.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum