screenlock/log out

View previous topic View next topic Go down

screenlock/log out

Post by peter2005 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:50 pm

hi guys

It's possible to lockscreen or log out in a way that all the  processes keep on running? I set 'automatically save session on logout' but it still closes half of the windows (like webbrowser) when logged out . I'm looking for something like 'log out' windows has, desktop cannot be accessed without password and all processes run on the background.

Last edited by peter2005 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
peter2005

Back to top Go down

Re: screenlock/log out

Post by Dai_trying on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:41 am

I would think you need to set light-locker (should be installed) to lock the screen rather than logging out, I cannot see a way to manually set this to lock though and as I don't have the need for this facility I haven't tried to do it in the past, I would think that you could write a simple bash script to perform a screen lock and create a desktop link so you could just click it to lock the screen.
I would think someone else might have a better solution so I won't try scripting something unless there's no alternative and then I will post something here for you.

EDIT: Just tested and on my machine ctrl-alt-del will lock the screen and allow the system to continue working.
Dai_trying

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:35 am

hello,

The name of the xfce screen locker is xflock4.

If you want me to make a locker program for you I can do that.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai_trying on Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:42 am

If you could add lock screen to the logout/shutdown menu that would probably be more useful Smile
Dai_trying

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:07 am

alright @Peter2005 I have created a screen lock installer that will work on Chalet OS. have tested on chalet os and has proven to be functional Smile

please visit https://docs.zoho.com/folder/29hjtcb6b53fa304e447ca302a92643b1344d to download the archive

unzip archive and open folder in terminal.

Run the following commands:

Code:
chmod +x install.sh
./install.sh

You will then be asked for sudo password. The screen locker will then install.

Then you can go to your start menu and search for "screen locker" and you will find the program. You can add to panel or desktop if you want.

Hope this is helpful!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter2005 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:58 pm

thank you guys for your support
@James Tobin: yes, I knew about xflock4 and 'application shortcut" settings , but there are 2 problems
-  (minor one) my monitor goes automatically to sleep mode
- when I log back in my cursor becomes invisible, although it works as if were visible

I installed your screenlocker but it seems to work exacly as xflock4 with both aforementioned issues
peter2005

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:02 pm

@Peter2005 so now I know I am not the only one with that problem. I have 2 questions for you.

1: do you have an acer or toshiba
2: what release of chalet os do you have

that issue is a problem in chalet os 16.04 but if you upgrade to chalet os 16.04.2 which is now the one on the website the problems should go away. Chalet OS 16.04.2 has fixed a lot of bugs.

in any screenlocker monitor will go to sleep because the comp stops sending it signals. Screen goes to sleep while it's locked on just about every os.

Hope this helps Very Happy

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter2005 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:16 pm

1. you are asking about monitor or computer? monitor is HP
2. 16.04.1

Do I have to download and install 16.04.2 ISO or it's possible to somehow update thru some update manager...? I spend whole yesterday customizing settings in current Chalet, it would be a great pain for me go to thru it again.
peter2005

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:23 pm

sorry for not being clear, about computer I was asking.

16.04.1 is more of test release than actual release, .2 is better. You would have to use the ISO image to do the upgrade. Do you know how to install from ISO and keep the data? if you have a /home partition set it and dont format, if it is single partition you can set / partition and set not to format and it will only replace files necessary which is really nice.

In fact, believe it or not, the customization stays... at least it did on my Ubuntu MATE I used a while back. I reinstalled with a single / partition in a way that it only replaced necessary files and it attempted to keep my programs but failed Sad but it may succeed with Chalet OS Very Happy and yes all my customization stayed which was amazing. Files too.

Wish you success and God bless Very Happy

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter2005 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:02 pm

I have a desktop computer which I built, no branded laptop.
Ok, I'll try to reinstall without formatting , there is also windows on the same disk, so hopefully I won't mess it up Very Happy

thank you for your help , you've been very supportive
peter2005

Back to top Go down

Post by peter2005 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:51 pm

ok, I installed 16.04.2 it does not fix the problems with lockscreen at all, and whats even worse there is some DockBarX taskbar which does not show opened window captions just icon confused confused confused

How do I get taskbar act like one in previous chalet version???

update:

Q: I want a button for every window instead of all windows of the same application grouped together under one button. When will DockbarX support that?

A: Never. That would demand quite a bit of restructuring of the code and I believe it's less productive to keep the windows ungrouped. You are welcome to change the code yourself if you don't like my decision, or try the applet Talika it might suit your needs better than DockbarX does.

hmm, seems to be no easy way, I'll have to return to 16.04.1

Last edited by James Tobin on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : language)
peter2005

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:12 am

They do group by default @Peter2005 but it does it differently. You have to hover for a second. I have made a screencast and uploaded to zoho docs. Find here:

https://docs.zoho.com/folder/lnsb2b3da4d27ba764fa589404629bd086f3b

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter2005 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:50 am

nah, I need to see a window caption, because it serves as an indicator of an incoming message when window is minimized, now I have to hover over to check ..
peter2005

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:58 am

ok that is easy.

with those settings you can remove the delay.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter2005 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:23 am

oh, gosh, it's so easy just run xfce panel switch and select ChaletOS-default, it switches taskbar to classic one Shocked

I wish i had known before I reinstalled 16.04.2 back to 16.04.1.Crying or Very sad

now only lockscreen problems still remain Question
peter2005

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:36 am

not to difficult to upgrade. .1 is a development release and has a lot of problems believe me it was such a failure there were tons of complaints. .2 however has received positive feedback from experts because it is very stable and has great features. It is Chalet OS's best release ever.

I'm sorry I forgot about panel switch I haven't been using Chalet OS as frequently as my one laptop is not compatible with the ubuntu-based operating systems and the laptop that does have chalet OS is not so good and I will get rid of it soon. Still use it occasionally but not so much. However I will be getting a new desktop soon.

The lockscreen issue is soemething I have had before. It happens on certain hardware and on some pieces of hardware it does not happen. I have found on one silly acer laptop that I had the cursor would not work on resume but I click it a few times and it goes back on after a bit. I am not sure of the cause but I am sure there is a cure unfortunately I am not good enough to fix that Sad

Hope this helps!

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by peter2005 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:30 am

The lockscreen issue is soemething I have had before. It happens on certain hardware and on some pieces of hardware it does not happen. I have found on one silly acer laptop that I had the cursor would not work on resume but I click it a few times and it goes back on after a bit. I am not sure of the cause but I am sure there is a cure unfortunately I am not good enough to fix that

I googled a bit and you're right it seems to be problem with integrated graphic adapter, which make sense because I do not have dedicated graphic card and my guess is you neither on your laptop . It's ubuntu Xenial issue.

Strange thing is when I log out from ChaletOS running in VM , there is no problem with cursor. Smile
peter2005

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:04 am

you could try to update your graphics drivers then. Go to the website of your graphics card manufacturer, locate it, and get drivers for Ubuntu-based Linux. May help!

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum