monitor not resuming after monitor poweroff

View previous topic View next topic Go down

monitor not resuming after monitor poweroff

Post by farsight13 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks for all the help guys, the support is really great here. However, i think i have a new problem. My computer is not automatically falling asleep or going into hibernation. In fact, the real problem is when i turn off the monitor. After which, the display loses all connection with my desktop computer. When i turn on the monitor, it no longer recognizes the monitor. So if i leave my monitor on, all day long, its fine. If i turn it off my monitor, even for a second, i lose the connection. I have tried to un-plugging and plugging the hdmi port after the fact, and i still get a blank screen.
I have tried (crtl+alt+del), and i actually got a response, where it went from the blank screen to the login page. After i input my password, the screen just goes blank again. >:-(
So basically, the real problem is video (hdmi) detection after turning the monitor off.

And to answer your question, no it is not a old computer. It is actually, a brand new desktop (Asus VivoPc VM62). It was a real hassle installing Chalet OS.It was either this or Windows 10. Even with my current issues, Chaletos Os is still my best choice. I just wish, I didn't have this problem. I really like the style of this OS, and i would really hate it if i have to start using they very utilitarian Zorin OS.
farsight13

Back to top Go down

Re: monitor not resuming after monitor poweroff

Post by James Tobin on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:59 am

In order to insure that your second question receives great support I've split it into a new topic. If you are opposed to this just let me know. Smile

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by farsight13 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:01 pm

No, I prefer it. It is a separate issue. Thank you. Smile
farsight13

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:03 pm

and in answer to your question I must admit I am not good at hdmi as I use vga on my desktops. But I have a hdmi to vga adapter and one time I unplugged it while it was on second screen only mode and my laptop main screen wouldn't turn back on. Even after plugging in the second monitor again. Unfortunately had to reboot my computer Sad I think that chalet os must not like having PRIMARY monitors plugged in during operation. (secondary monitors OK). And I think your particular screen completely turns off instead of going into a sleep mode when shut down. I am aware that such monitors exist though there are not many. It is better to have a monitor that will sleep instead of shut down for some operating systems. So unfortunately your bet bet is to leave the screen running, I don't at this point know of a workaround for HDMI but I'll definitely let you no in a case that I do.

Thank you for chosing chalet OS!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by farsight13 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:19 pm

No problem, I am sure there is answer exists somewhere. Till then, i have to be careful not to turn off my monitor and find a work around. I am surprised not many people have this problem. That, or everyone is just on their laptops. Surprised
farsight13

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:21 pm

rather that not as many people use those types of monitors, is my guess, but I could be wrong. I dont have any of those kind, even my old monitors aren't that way. Although my win 98 crt may have been like that but I am not sure.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by farsight13 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:54 am

So after some trial and error. I think i found the cause of the issue. But, i have only solved part of the problem.
So, James you were right. It was the monitor. The HDMI loses it's connection when you turn off the monitor or when the screen saver is turned on. It took me a while to realize that, my monitor had a built in screen saver programmed into it. I had to disable my monitor's energy saving auto-screen saver in it's menu.
I also, turned ON the screen saver in Chalet OS. Setting->power Management-> Display.
So I waited a minuet and the screen went black for 10 seconds and then then BRIGHT BLUE for a 1 minuet.
After which, it went blank. I taped my keyboard and it was brought back to life and asked me for my login password.
So now, i have to leave a note that says,NOT to turn OFF the monitor. Cause, if i do, i will not be able to connect with my monitor.
I am hoping someone out there is going to make a patch that fixes this.
Truthfully, solution is still a little annoying but hell this OS is still much better than windows 10.
farsight13

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:27 am

yes it is definitely a good OS in spite of it's problems and I'm glad you found part of the solution Smile Also it *could* be a new linux kernel problem but I don't know

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum