Vmware tools

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vmware tools

Post by Kpovee on Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Please I need detailed explanation on how to install VMware tools. I'm running VMware workstation 12.0 but can't seem to get it to work with chalet OS. Every other Linux distro seems to work.

I need this. Thanks.
Kpovee

Back to top Go down

Re: Vmware tools

Post by James Tobin on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Hello,

I recommend virtualbox which is free and much easier to use and has much more features. Virtualbox guest additions should install very nicely.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Luillo on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:59 am

Hi Kpovee and James:

I installed the vmtools in this way:

After I execute the vmtools installation, the distro will mount automatically the "iso" like a cdrom.

In the window shell I extract the iso contents and it will creat a folder.

In terminal, I go to the mount path and you will find a file with the extension .pl if my memory don't fail me.

Then execute the .pl file in this form " sudo filename.pl and hit enter. That suppose that you could see the progress in terminal. Also I believe that if you set the .pl file like an executable file, I believe that you could make a double click on it and start the installation.

I prefer vmware because I found more awesome features than virtuabox as an example, the feature of the harddrive non-persistence feature that allows you make many changes for tests or if you want crash the vm and after shutdown the vm and turning on again, all the changes that you made are gone.

With the restart, or pause, the changes remain but with the shutdown don't.

Thanks
Luillo

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:21 pm

I do not know much about vmware but I know i didn't like it, but that's with you Smile

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by nogero on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:01 am

I have Chalet on VMware

Fiorst I had to go to Software and Updater app and include "multiverse" in software to check/use.
Then I simple entered command from a terminal:
sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools
That is all.
Open-vm-tools don't show until you include multiverse in library.
nogero

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:48 pm

I unfortunately have to say that this is chalet os forums and while we are delighted to help you with general other-program issues just because the OS is ChaletOS we can't always guarantee an answer, but we will definitely try to help Smile Unfortunately the little I tried of vmware products I was not impressed and virtualbox has been great for me all along. Anyway thanks nogero for your insight Smile

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum