ChaletOS 16.04 themes in Xubuntu 16.04

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ChaletOS 16.04 themes in Xubuntu 16.04

Post by SleepyD on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:38 am

I'm wondering if anybody can help me.  I would like to get the ChaletOS 16.04 themes from my PC copied over to a Xubuntu 16.04 PC that I setup for my mom.   I do not want to wipe the PC and load ChaletOS for the themes.  Does somebody know if this is possible and can you help me do this if it is?  Thanks in advance.
SleepyD

Back to top Go down

Re: ChaletOS 16.04 themes in Xubuntu 16.04

Post by James Tobin on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:11 am

Hello SleepyD and Welcome to the forums!

Themes for chalet OS are located in /usr/share/themes folder. That's where the themes can be found. On Xubuntu though they would probably be located in the .themes folder of the xubuntu home folder. Do note that that folder is hidden. To temporarily show hidden folders use ctrl+h (you'll want to use ctrl+h again when you're done cuz it's not nice to see all the extra folders in your home folder Very Happy ). If that does not work on xubuntu then you may want to try to paste it on the /usr/share/themes folder on xubuntu as well however that won't be easy because you need sudo to do that. To do that you will have to open a terminal and run 'sudo thunar' or if your file manager is nautilus then run 'sudo nautilus', enter root password, and then copy it to /usr/share/themes. Be careful not to delete the wrong thing though when doing that!

Hope this helps! let me know if you need more help! Also if you have any more unrelated please post new topic.

Thanks for joining and I wish you the best with Chalet OS!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
James Tobin

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bluphoenyx on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:56 am

As Mr. Tobin noted, the themes are available in a global directory, but applying them to Ubuntu may take more work because, at least some of them, are based on another theme system known as zoncolor. See http://http://www.fandigital.com/ for more details.

It isn't that difficult to change a Ubuntu system, especially an Xubuntu install, to ChaletOS because they use a similar base. In fact, I have done this on several systems without losing user settings including an extensive playonlinux/wine setup. However, it does require that the /home directory is protected on its own partition so that the new install doesn't destroy vital files.
bluphoenyx

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:58 am

bluphoenyx wrote:As Mr. Tobin noted, the themes are available in a global directory, but applying them to Ubuntu may take more work because, at least some of them, are based on another theme system known as zoncolor. See http://http://www.fandigital.com/ for more details.

It isn't that difficult to change a Ubuntu system, especially an Xubuntu install, to ChaletOS because they use a similar base. In fact, I have done this on several systems without losing user settings including an extensive playonlinux/wine setup. However, it does require that the /home directory is protected on its own partition so that the new install doesn't destroy vital files.

the default as well as the most commonly used aren't the zoncolors even though I am using a zoncolor right now Neutral

But I should have mentioned that, you're right.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluphoenyx on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:11 am

I could be wrong, but the new ChaletOS default theme claims to be based on zoncolor. I really haven't looked into the theme changer app, too much else to do like spending time with the grandkids Smile.
bluphoenyx

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:29 am

If you look at the theme changer a few on the bottom are. I didn't think the default was zoncolor but I may be wrong

sorry 4 late reply was eating :>

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluphoenyx on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:48 am

Regardless, I like the way that ChaletOS handles themes. I just wish there was more uniformity between GTK2 and GTK 3. Eventually, this won't be an issue when programs adapt to the newer GTK. I'm just worried that by then, an even newer version of GTK will be developed. The ever evolving state of software and hardware could drive a person nuts.
bluphoenyx

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:59 am

yeah those changes are nuts eh? some people think windows was never any good but in 3.1 apps loaded faster than the screen refresh rate! Now, sad to say, the graphic capabilities of computers and the graphic capabilities of software decided to play supertuxkart and have a race (HAHA) and unfortunately, the graphic capability of software is winning the race. As a result, computers are slower as slowly-developing hardware tries hard to compensate for the extremely fast-developing software graphic stuff (and you can include other stuff to other than graphics) and next thing you know.....

Also as a result hardware companies need to work extremely hard to microcompress higher resources in a cost saving solution to keep up with software changes. For example win 3.1 requires 3 MB of RAM and my 8 MB is massive, yet Windows 7 8 and 10 require 2 GB RAM (or 1 GB for 32 bit) and many linux distros technically need 512 MB but dont run well without 4 GB or more. Now these poor manufacturers who can't cope with the fast changes and can't keep the costs down have to make cheaper building materials for their hardware etc. Hard drives especially are cheaply built now. My 3.1 has 2 seagates each year 1991 and 512 MB each (dual drives) and they have never crashed. Then there's a 'middle generation' which is '04-'08 and they all have crashed and gone cuz then they started making them cheap, then the newer ones that are still cheaply built and won't last much longer. It's horrible! (WD hard drives especially).

you know, when GTK 4 comes out I may not want to upgrade Neutral

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluphoenyx on Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:52 pm

It's nice to see someone else that appreciates old systems. I have a laptop that still runs on a 40mhz 486 and my favorite hobby is Apple II computers. Granted, I don't use them every day, but they still function just as well as they used to.

The problem that I see with modern systems is that most developers tend to throw more software at a problem. Plus, the use of virtual systems to create uniformity slows things down. This happens with the use of interpretive program tools and even with many modern C compilers because it makes the development easier than creating a system that can build binaries for different processors. Of course, this is just my opinion since I am not a professional developer, just a user that has enjoyed exploring computer systems since 1984. Still, I miss the days when programmers would re-factor their applications so they used fewer resources.
bluphoenyx

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:23 pm

exactly. Come to think of it, 3.1 wasn't so ugly right? only problem: now they are making these new "file formats" in an effort to outdate the older OS's so people pay for upgrades. Now with Windows 10 they claim it's going to be the last windows OS. Wow, really? Another thing: I recall a topic on MS community about how to boot w10 in safe mode since there's no f8 start menu. WHen I asked why they did it the reply was "because the developers thought windows 10 would be perfect and not need a safe mode" Exactly! disgrace to Microsoft. And to be honest w10 has more problems then an alpha/beta OS should have.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by SleepyD on Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:58 pm

Thanks for the input everybody.  It sounds like it would be easier to just wipe Xubuntu and load ChaletOS.  I'm not very experienced with Linux and I want to make sure she doesn't have any problems.  Would you like to share some instructions bluphoenyx if it's not too much to ask?
SleepyD

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:32 am

the issue with chalet os as opposed to xubuntu is it always bonks with uefi. So you will be best trying to switch to legacy boot. If your computer came pre-installed with windows 8 or 10 it will have uefi that should be disabled. If it came preinstalled with windows 7 or earlier then it doesn't have uefi and you're all set. To disable uefi bing search 'enter bios [make and model of your computer]', find instructions, and use them to enter CMOS setup. Then find a 'uefi boot' option and be sure to disable it.

If you can't disable it there is a way to install ubuntu with uefi but it's difficult. I have a tutorial for that here: http://chaletos.4rumer.com/t237-install-chalet-os-with-uefi

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluphoenyx on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:41 am

Some caveats! Please read this completely and make sure you have no questions before beginning.

Ensure that you know exactly which partition is used for what. Current systems use long UUID values to identify disks, but during installation the system may resort to /dev/sd## values.

Make sure there is a backup of any critical data. Remember Murphy is alive and well and he loves messing with computers and user data.

The two distributions should be similar, i.e. the 14.x LTS version of Ubuntu (and variants) or the most recent 16.x LTS should work as long as the applications are up to date.

The /home directory must be mounted on its own partition. Ok, this is confusing to some people because the directory entry /home will be on the main partition and the system will mount the actual partition to it. What you are attempting won't work if the current home directory is placed on the same partition as everything else. This is actually common with more recent installs because many new users are familiar with the Windows method where every file goes on the main drive. If this is the case, then you will need to copy the data elsewhere. If the PC has only one drive, then you might be able to re-size the partition and copy the user's directory there. If so, then copy the whole directory from /home. This allows setting this partition so it mounts to /home once ChaletOS is installed.

When you are ready to proceed, follow the install program prompts until you get to the page labelled "Installation type". Select the bottom choice called "Something else". This option allows you to manually control disk partitions, settings and boot loader options. Please note that this part of the install can be dangerous to data so caution is advised.

You should see a list of partitions on the first disk and possibly a way to access other disk media. After selecting the partition that ChaletOS will run from you can choose the one for the home directory. You will need to set the filesystem type and mount point, but be sure that the option for formatting is NOT selected. Mount point should be /home.

Everything else should be the same as a regular install.

All that said, I personally keep important user data in a separate partition and create symbolic links after a new install. This allows me to access important data like the /.mozilla folder and all other sorts of things. Plus, I can see how the new OS looks and acts without old config files getting in the way. This method can be a bit tedious for new users because it requires some command line configuration after the installation.

Two tools that help me with any Linux system is the XFCE4 terminal in drop-down mode (any terminal will work though) and the file manager Midnight Commander.
bluphoenyx

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:28 am

NO! he doesn't need all that information! he probably installed it with default settings and he is too inexperienced to find it anyway. If installed with default settings it won't make a separate /home partition so he has to wipe it anyway. Also he said he wants to wipe it and put on chalet os so I gave him some helpful installation instructions because, even though chalet OS is based on xubuntu, I know that chalet os has trouble with uefi and I have heard from someone else that xubuntu does not. That settles it. As for setting mount points I'm guessing he will do poorly with that and would prefer the default option which works fine.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:33 am

@sleepyD: I would say that as long as you have all your data backed up and you have uefi off and your bios is set to boot cd or flash drive first you're good. If you have a HP and can't disable uefi boot use my tutorial.

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai_trying on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:32 am

I gotta say I'm a bit like bluphoenyx in as much as I remove data folders (Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Video) and put a sym-link to the relevant folder on my DATA partition so when I install a new os (which I do quite often to check them out) I can access everything i need without too much fuss. But for a "normal" user this is probably not needed, I don't do it when I set up other peoples machines as they generally stick to what they have and I just remind them of the dangers of not having some sort of backup system in place, even if it is just copy home folder to  a thumb drive once a month.
Dai_trying

Back to top Go down

Post by bluphoenyx on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:08 am

As I understood the conversation and based on the reply I had given earlier, the user asked me how to go about installing ChaletOS on his wife's computer without destroying her data. I gave tips based on that.

Once again, I feel like my input is not required on this site. I have a tendency to offer too much help and it seems that the current crop of Linux users don't want that. Guess I'll just shut up.
bluphoenyx

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:04 am

Oh no! we appreciate your input and you can't help too much! It was only a matter of a misunderstanding in this case, hope you can understand that Neutral

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by bluphoenyx on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:08 am

Sorry, I don't do well with text only communications. It is just too difficult to get those visual clues that talking face to face provides.
bluphoenyx

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:15 am

you said you have a tendency to offer too much help, but I want to chalenge that. You see that I'm coming close to 200 posts. Look at my join date. I have been in these forums for only one month and one day! No, posting too much is not a problem unless you're spamming. The only issue I see with your posts and may be why I jumped in as I did is that they are often too hard to understand for our new users. Just try to make them a little bit simpler so that some inexperienced users can benefit from them Smile

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dits on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:57 am

bluphoenyx wrote:As I understood the conversation and based on the reply I had given earlier, the user asked me how to go about installing ChaletOS on his wife's computer without destroying her data. I gave tips based on that.

Once again, I feel like my input is not required on this site. I have a tendency to offer too much help and it seems that the current crop of Linux users don't want that. Guess I'll just shut up.

We all appreciate your input very much bluphoenix, please continue and there's no need to shut up, we need people like you helping the Linux community on forums like this one. Smile

Dits

http://chaletos.info

Back to top Go down

Post by bluphoenyx on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:01 pm

As you say, maybe my knowledge and the way that I present it is too advanced for many users. I have tried to be specific and give detailed steps where required. However, this issue is not really a problem. I shall back off on the technical help, but I will still keep an eye out for those few folks that may be able to grok the technical stuff.

Cheers and Best WIshes
bluphoenyx

Back to top Go down

Post by Dai_trying on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:28 am

Personally I'd keep offering the advice, the OP can always ask if there is something they do not understand and (IMO) it's better to have too much information than too little Smile
Dai_trying

Back to top Go down

Post by James Tobin on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:59 am

I think we are being inconsiderate to the original poster by bringing in this argument. I'm afraid he's going to get a bad impression of the forum he will think we argue a lot which we do not >:C

James Tobin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum