Dropbox NOT in Panel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by barkhat on Thu May 26, 2016 8:32 pm

Just installed ChaletOS a few days ago and all appears well except that I cannot see the dropbox icon in the panel. I click it in the menu and it seems to be running because I then type "dropbox start" in the terminal and I get the result "dropbox is already running!" However, no icon shows up in the task/panel bar, and I have no way to pause the syncing, or even know if it is syncing or working.

I installed the .deb file (if that is important) and yesterday, after looking at the other post on dropbox, I installed the thunar-dropbox integration app from the application center. Still, nothing.

I'd appreciate any guidance I could get on this, please.

Thank you!
avatar
barkhat

Posts : 6
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by James Tobin on Thu May 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Welcome to the forums @barkhat!

I'm not sure why it's happening i dont use dropbox, but I know with zoho docs there is one folder, for me it is /home/james/zoho docs and that location is the sync folder. Anything from zoho docs appears there and everything I put in that folder goes to zoho docs. I bet dropbox does the same thing especially if you have the thunar integration.

If you need to kill process "dropbox" you just need to run "killall dropbox" in terminal. Then you can relaunch it.

Or else it may be possible that you are dealing with a system service. In that case to stop it would be to use "sudo service dropbox stop" then "sudo service dropbox start" to restart it.

I'm not sure whether you are trying to access a manager or settings for synchronization, there may be a location for that. For just syncing files and folders though you'll want to use the sync folder.

Also make sure you installed the .deb file for Ubuntu 16.10 Xenial Xerus Very Happy

Hope this helps Very Happy

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
avatar
James Tobin

Posts : 660
Join date : 2016-05-05
Location : United States

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by barkhat on Thu May 26, 2016 11:31 pm

Thank you so much for getting back to me quickly, James. I appreciate that.  I think it sounds like Dropbox works similarly to Zoho.  There is a folder that contains all the files and which Dropbox syncs. But when you start the Dropbox application, usually an icon appears in the panel bar and represents the start of the program. You can click on that icon and pause the syncing, open the folder, or end the program.  That is what is missing.  

I tried your suggestions but they didn't help. I was able to "killall dropbox" but the "sudo service dropbox start" returned "sudo service dropbox start" so I am not sure what could be missing. I downloaded the latest .deb from the dropbox site for Ubuntu.

Before I switched over to Chalet, I was using Ubuntu Mate. Whenever this happened before, I could just "dropbox stop" and then "dropbox start" in the Terminal.  Doesn't seem to work here. And I am not sure how to proceed.


James Tobin wrote:Welcome to the forums @barkhat!

I'm not sure why it's happening i dont use dropbox, but I know with zoho docs there is one folder, for me it is /home/james/zoho docs and that location is the sync folder. Anything from zoho docs appears there and everything I put in that folder goes to zoho docs. I bet dropbox does the same thing especially if you have the thunar integration.

If you need to kill process "dropbox" you just need to run "killall dropbox" in terminal. Then you can relaunch it.

Or else it may be possible that you are dealing with a system service. In that case to stop it would be to use "sudo service dropbox stop" then "sudo service dropbox start" to restart it.

I'm not sure whether you are trying to access a manager or settings for synchronization, there may be a location for that. For just syncing files and folders though you'll want to use the sync folder.

Also make sure you installed the .deb file for Ubuntu 16.10 Xenial Xerus Very Happy

Hope this helps Very Happy
avatar
barkhat

Posts : 6
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by James Tobin on Thu May 26, 2016 11:59 pm

barkhat wrote:Thank you so much for getting back to me quickly, James. I appreciate that.  I think it sounds like Dropbox works similarly to Zoho.  There is a folder that contains all the files and which Dropbox syncs. But when you start the Dropbox application, usually an icon appears in the panel bar and represents the start of the program. You can click on that icon and pause the syncing, open the folder, or end the program.  That is what is missing.  

I tried your suggestions but they didn't help. I was able to "killall dropbox" but the "sudo service dropbox start" returned "sudo service dropbox start" so I am not sure what could be missing. I downloaded the latest .deb from the dropbox site for Ubuntu.

Before I switched over to Chalet, I was using Ubuntu Mate. Whenever this happened before, I could just "dropbox stop" and then "dropbox start" in the Terminal.  Doesn't seem to work here. And I am not sure how to proceed.


James Tobin wrote:Welcome to the forums @barkhat!

I'm not sure why it's happening i dont use dropbox, but I know with zoho docs there is one folder, for me it is /home/james/zoho docs and that location is the sync folder. Anything from zoho docs appears there and everything I put in that folder goes to zoho docs. I bet dropbox does the same thing especially if you have the thunar integration.

If you need to kill process "dropbox" you just need to run "killall dropbox" in terminal. Then you can relaunch it.

Or else it may be possible that you are dealing with a system service. In that case to stop it would be to use "sudo service dropbox stop" then "sudo service dropbox start" to restart it.

I'm not sure whether you are trying to access a manager or settings for synchronization, there may be a location for that. For just syncing files and folders though you'll want to use the sync folder.

Also make sure you installed the .deb file for Ubuntu 16.10 Xenial Xerus Very Happy

Hope this helps Very Happy



As i said i don't know if it runs as a system service or not. The icon on the taskbar would prob be a widget it tries to instsall. Maybe you can go on taskbar settings and under "applets" to "add applets" or "add widgets" i forget which because i'm currently at work and am on zorin os, not chalet os Sad What you would be checking for is a "dropbox" applet that you can add to taskbar.

I searched online and there apparently is an application that comes with dropbox called "dropbox preferences". Unfortunately I don't know the name for that. You can try to find it in /usr/bin, /bin, or /usr/share/applications. Maybe running 'locate dropbox' in terminal will bring something up. If you manage to find the name of the dropbox preferences application you can add a launcher for that.

Hope this helps, sorry I dont know much about dropbox, maybe someone else knows more about that application. Wink Very Happy

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
avatar
James Tobin

Posts : 660
Join date : 2016-05-05
Location : United States

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by barkhat on Fri May 27, 2016 9:41 pm

James, again, thank you so much for your help and trying to assist me. Haven't figured things out, yet, but maybe someone else will have some ideas.  I do appreciate all your efforts.
avatar
barkhat

Posts : 6
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by barkhat on Fri May 27, 2016 9:46 pm

One other thing, James: can you tell me how to get the Zoho box that you have? Maybe in the interim I can have an alternate system to work with.

Thank you.


uote="barkhat"]James, again, thank you so much for your help and trying to assist me. Haven't figured things out, yet, but maybe someone else will have some ideas.  I do appreciate all your efforts.[/quote]
avatar
barkhat

Posts : 6
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by James Tobin on Fri May 27, 2016 10:05 pm

Hey,

You will need to make a zoho account on zoho.com. Then in your apps chose "zoho docs" and hit "Connected devices" in the lower left. Then "add a computer". It will automatically detect your OS and provide you with a download.

I'm sure if you get zoho you will LOVE it Very Happy


Last edited by James Tobin on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
avatar
James Tobin

Posts : 660
Join date : 2016-05-05
Location : United States

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by barkhat on Sat May 28, 2016 9:09 pm

Again, thank you, James! I will make haste.  Sounds like a great option.


James Tobin wrote:Hey,

You will need to make a zoho account on zoho.com. Then in your apps chose "zoho docs" and hit "Connected devices" in the lower left. Then "add a computer". It will automatically detect your OS and provide you with a download.

I'm sure if you get zoho you will LOVE it Very Happy
avatar
barkhat

Posts : 6
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by barkhat on Sat May 28, 2016 11:09 pm

FYI: James, I installed the Zoho and it looks much the same as dropbox. I noticed that in my panel there is an icon that represents the home folder and which shows zoho visibly syncing. That is the icon which is missing from Dropbox. I should be able to see it there, like this Zoho icon. In case I hadn't explained myself well earlier, I wanted to let you know.

I hope someone will have an idea/solution about this.
avatar
barkhat

Posts : 6
Join date : 2016-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by James Tobin on Sat May 28, 2016 11:13 pm

As i said I believe the widget on your desktop with dropbox sync got accidentally disabled. Check your panel settings see if you can find it on the applets list. I'm not sure why it would be missing, but I would recommend it over dropbox for it's unlimited file storage.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The only good thing about Windows is that it never gives you any terminal illnesses.
Needless to say, Terminal illnesses are the only problem with Linux.
avatar
James Tobin

Posts : 660
Join date : 2016-05-05
Location : United States

https://tobinbridge.zohosites.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropbox NOT in Panel

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum